Wednesday, December 02, 2009

OCTAVIO RODRIGUEZ: Root Branch Profile #6



This blog is making a liar of me - I'm not sticking to my own blogging schedule but I will persevere!

Our star profilee today is the recent Bay Area arrival and veteran story artist Octavio Rodriguez. And I say veteran not because he's old (really!!) but because Octavio's been a part of so many animation institutions and choice projects (see his bio below). His own books, which you can purchase on his blog, are full of poignant stories narrated through the cutest illustrations. Octavio is one hard working dude!

Bio
Octavio Rodriguez is a story artist who has been in the animation industry for over 14 years where he has also helped with the development of characters and show ideas. Octavio has worked for Nickelodeon, Sony, Warner Brothers, Disney, Cartoon Network, Starz/IDT, Rough Draft, Titmouse, Epoch Ink, and is currently employed by Lucasfilm where he's working on the TV series "Clone Wars." Octavio has self-published his own line of sketchbooks, comics, and short stories as well as co-created cartoonmojo.com, a website that celebrates the world of animation by showcasing the best films and the talented people who create them.

When did you first start to draw/create and what inspired you to do it?
It all started in junior high, I couldn't get enough of reading French comics and Mangas. I grew to admire the draftsmanship from my favorite comic and graphic novel artists. Before I knew it, I found myself creating extensive bios of my own characters. Those drawings and bios eventually became comics that I would sell to other kids in school. I was, and still am, completely fascinated with being able to tell a story through sequential art.

What is your favorite color and why?
Red-orange, especially in my art. I love the feel of it popping on the page. It just seems natural.

What kind of music (or other aural environments) do you listen to when you work and why?
Can't live without my iTunes radio. My favorite station hands down is- "Secret Agent: The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life." I love drawing to it, it breathes life in me. The music meshes with my style, and it inspires my line work.

... so I have to sign off this post by congratulating Mr. Rodriguez on his recent nuptials to the beautiful and talented Elizabeth Quintero Rodriguez. I will refrain from further embarrassing Octavio by posting a picture of him on his wedding day, looking as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs (I've always wanted to use that cliche!)