Thursday, December 03, 2009

JACKIE HUANG: Root Branch Profile #7




For anyone who attended this year's ComiCon, you will recognize Jackie Huang by the throngs of enthralled fangirls and boys gathered around his table, oooo'in and awwww'in over his wool creations. Jackie hand-makes these magical creatures by painstakingly poking at pieces of wool until he creates their distinct shapes and features. He is a one-man sweatshop. Sadly I say this because I just can't see how

(the amount he charges for wool buddies) - (the amount of time he spends on wood buddies X decent hourly wage) = a positive dollar figure.

For his day job, Jackie is the second Lucas Story Artist in a row to grace this blog.

BIO

Jackie was born and raised in Taipei, Taiwan, and currently lives in the Bay Area USA. He works in the Animation industry as a 3D story artist. In 2009, Jackie started the WoolBuddy project, creating unique needle felted wool characters. They are so creative, cute, and hilarious all at the same time.

When did you first start to draw/create and what inspired you to do it?
I started making wool buddies about a year ago because my daughter (2 years old) needed toys and I couldn't find any non-plastic ones.

What is your favorite color and why?
Any earth tone color, and I don't know why.

What kind of music (or other aural environments) do you listen to when you work and why?
I don't listen to any music especially when I am working (can't focus). The only time I listen to music is when I'm driving alone... keeps me awake.

I can't wait to see which wool buddies Jackie brings to the show. I admit I own two - a mini totoro and a dobbit (i.e. a genetically engineered dog crossed with rabbit). Check out these photos of Jackie in a GIANT totoro wool buddy outfit for Halloween!



2 comments:

Glitter Side said...

YAY!! love those Wool Buddies

Laurahtje said...

I love all of them, especially the giraffe. Is there a way to buy them online?