Monday, November 23, 2009

PATRICK AWA: Root Branch Profile #1





Inaugurating the Maverix Root Branch Exhibit artist profiles is the L.A. based, consistent Maverix auction top bid-getter, and ever awesome Patrick Awa. And speaking of Maverix auctions, the image above was one of his past contributions, and I'd love to buy, steal, and/or borrow it from the lucky bidder, whoever you are.


Bio

Born in Santa Monica, California, Patrick grew up in Tokyo and began his career working for a Japanese CGI production studio where he rose through the ranks to direct various commercials and short films. He moved to California in 2001 and has worked as a character/concept designer for major movies such as "Valiant" (Walt Disney Pictures) and "9" (Focus Features), as well as the upcoming "Guardians of Ga'Hoole" (Warner Bros). Patrick is currently designing characters for the CGI feature "Gatchaman" for Imagi.


We asked Patrick the same 3 questions posed to all the artists contributing to this exhibit. Here are his answers.


・When did you first start to draw/create and what inspired you to do it?


I don't remember, but I was just one of those average infants with crayolas making mess on mom's favorite kitchen wall. I think usually kids will steadily find other interesting things to do like playing baseball or jumping on skateboards as they get older, and only a few uncelebrated ones are still left behind with stubby crayolas. That's me.


・What is your favorite color and why?


I like all colors, but I think I specially like "black" because there is something very certain and deliberate about it amongst all other seamless spectrum. "Black" is a dictator.


・What kind of music (or other aural environments) do you listen to when you work and why?


I don't know exactly why, but I cannot listen to any music when I am drawing lines. But I turn my iPod (or whatever around me could provide music) on soon as it turns into painting/coloring phase. It's funny how they could (or could not) relate to each other.



Tune in tomorrow for Profile #2. Who shall it be... ??!


Trivia: There are 17 days left before the December 10th Roots Branch show. There are 17 contributing artists. Maverix is located at 1717 17th Street, and the phone number is 415.522.1717... and none of these "coincidences" were orchestrated by humans. Fortuitous or creepy? You decide.



No comments: